December 2, 2008

Correction (ie, I was wrong)

A reader of the blog submitted the following comment with regards to my criticism of Elle knowing where to locate Claire, you know, the whole scene where HRG kicked Sylar's ass.

Anonymous
It was Sylar, not Elle, who knew Noah would take Claire to
Stephen Canfield's house. While he worked with Noah earlier in the season,
Sylar's ability allowed him to understand very quickly the way Mr. Bennet thinks
and acts. With this knowledge and their previous run in at the same place, Sylar
deduced Claire and Noah's location.

I recently viewed the episode again to clear this up, and yes - I was incorrect. Sylar distinctly pointed out he knew how HRG thinks and was able to deduce where HRG would hide Claire. Ok, with that out of the way, let me reiterate - how? Sylar did aquire the ability to touch an object and know it's history but that's about it. He only had a minimal amount of encounters with HRG, they were only a team for one mission. There just wasn't enough of a history between the two where it could be obvious that they both knew how the other operated. The show didn't suggest Sylar knew HRG's whereabouts due to a power - he was just using his noggin'. Whether Sylar said it or Claire said it is mostly irrelevant, the point is it was cheap and lazy writing. I'd rather Arthur had used his future seeing ability to draw a picture of where Claire and HRG were hiding and THEN Sylar saying "hey, I know where that is - I've been there before!". Now THAT would've made more sense.

But anyway, I write this to point out readers of this blog can sometimes know more than I. I know, it's scary to think, but I give credit where it's due. Good job, whoever posted that comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment